About The Angel

 

 

 

 

Angel Larling 2013

The Angel Inn is a 17th century former Coaching Inn within 20 miles of the city of Norwich

and the historic towns of Bury St Edmunds, Thetford, Wymondham and Diss. Originally built

for Thomas Wright in 1631 it has since had approximately 30 tenants/owners.

 

Arthur George Stammers arrived at The Angel in 1913 with his wife Grace Rebecca.

He was the son of Henry and Elizabeth Stammers who arrived in Norfolk from

Suffolk to become the licensees of The Dolphin at Harling Road station (now cottages).

In 1883 they moved on to become the licensees of Bridgham Red Lion.

By 1913 Arthur was married to Grace Burt who came from Turnpike cottage at Besthorpe,

they moved into The Angel with their first two children. With the arrival

of three more children, the small holding, the animals and the pub they had a happy and

properous life until Grace died 1949.  Arthur then went into retirement.

 

It would be later on in 1983 his Grandson Brian Stammers would take over the tenancy

with his wife Geraldine.  By 1994 ownership of The Angel had been passed from Norwich

Brewery to Control Securities.  It was in that year it was sold to Brian, Geraldine and son

Andrew, where ownership remains to this day.

 

The Angel Inn Freehouse

Larling Norfolk NR16 2QU

Tel 01953 717963 | Email info@angel-larling.co.uk | Contact | Find Us | Newsletter

Jon